By KEVIN TEME Petroleum Resource Kutubu (PRK) sponsored Mendi Muruks has appointed Andrew Andiki as the head coach for this year’s Digicel Cup challenge. Andiki is the current head coach of the Kroton Hela Wigmen but decided to change ship when he saw the Muruks coaching position being advertised. The Hela man is now being replaced by his assistant Charlie Wabo as the head coach for the Wigmen while sources inside the last year’s runner up team in the Digicel Cup confirmed that Benjamin Hetra will be Wabo’s assistant while Noel Zemming, the former SP Hunters captain is the head trainer. For Andiki he says he has no regrets after he felt what he needed to do with his coaching experience to instill some lost pride in the Southern Highlands franchise. Muruks franchise manager Erick Alom in an earlier interview said the Muruks will be going into camp once the new coach is announced, something Andiki wants to see early as possible to prepare his troops for the big challenge ahead for the 2020 Digicel Cup competition. Alom said there were seven local coaches mostly from the Highlands who applied for the top job in the Muruks in which Andiki got the nod ahead from the six. Andiki who was a former player of Muruks will do everything to instill some lost pride for the Southern Highlands franchise. Prior to the official announcement, Andiki said he is looking forward to leading the Muruks this year. Recenlty Andiki has completed his ARL level two coaching certificate and harmed with this, he is hoping for another good season with the Muruks this year. Andiki has also proved critics wrong when he led Wigmen into the grand final last year only to be humbled by the reigning champion Snax Lae Tigers however this time around, he is confident Muruks can bring those lost memories by being one of the top teams for this year. It is believed Andiki will take with him some of his best talents in the Wigmen camp as well as some promising players that he had already set eyes on.
A new year is underway for the members of the La Follette Utilities Board Board of Directors. At Tuesday morning’s 8 am meeting, David Longmire was sworn in for his second four-year term. Boyd Henegar was appointed chairman with James Campbell vice-chairman and Jay Willoughby as secretary-treasurer. Board attorney Mike Hatmaker approved the bank signature cards. Janice Walker rounds out the five member LUB Board. (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 07/18/2018-6AM)Share this:FacebookTwitter
Mumbai: Indications are that the BCCI has formulated the Kovid rules that players and team staff must follow in the IPL. The report is reported to be 240 pages long. It is reported that there are guidelines for players to undergo two or four Kovid tests. The official announcement will be made at the BCCI Governing Council meeting on Sunday.The tournament will be held in three venues across the UAE from November 19 to November 8. There will be 60 matches in the tournament. The final is likely to be postponed to November 10. The decision will be taken at the Governing Council meeting. The IPL, which was scheduled to start on March 29, has been postponed indefinitely in the wake of Kovid 19.IPL: Smith says he is disappointed that India is not a venueThere are also concerns about the participation of foreign players. The players, who could not reach the UAE due to lack of aircraft, are being evacuated on chartered flights. The final decision will be taken after tomorrow’s BCCI meeting. The move will include Bangalore’s AB de Villiers, Delhi’s Kagiso Rabada, Chennai’s Duplessis and Mumbai’s Quinton de Kok.However, Emirates Cricket Board Secretary Mubashir Usmani told PTI that 35-40 per cent of spectators will be allowed to enter the stadium for IPL matches if the government gives its approval.IPL: ABD firing delayed; Concerned about the journey of South African players
18 December 2019, 10:33 Tags: Home » Disciplines News » Showjumping News » Irish riders set for London Olympia Team Ireland riders will compete in World Cup Qualifier competitions at London Olympia (GBR) in the disciplines of both showjumping and dressage this weekend. Elsewhere on the showjumping circuit, Ireland will be represented at Frankfurt (GER) and Kronenberg (NED). In endurance, action takes place at Dunnellon Florida (USA).All Irish international entries for this week’s shows are now available to view by clicking on the individual shows under ‘FEI Entries & Results’. Live links to results from this week’s shows are also available. Follow your Team Ireland Equestrian riders on the HSI website, Facebook (Team Ireland Equestrian) and Twitter (@TeamIRLEq). Irish riders set for London Olympia
The Nigeria Table Tennis Federation has been thrown into a state of mourning following the sudden death of Italy-based player Seun Ajetunmobi on Friday.His death was confirmed in a statement released by the national tennis body on Friday and that he died at a hospital in Lagos, where he was receiving treatment from the injuries he suffered via a domestic accident, which occurred in his home in Lagos on May 23.Ajetunmobi,33, was recently crowned the men’s singles champion at the Aso Table Tennis Championships in Abuja on May 9.In the statement released, NTTF Secretary General Anthony Idaye said: “On behalf of the president, the executive board members and the entire table tennis family in Nigeria, I regret to announce the sudden death of one of our national team players Seun Ajetunmobi, which sad event occurred early morning of June 1, 2018, in a Lagos hospital.“The Italy-based athlete was on holiday in Nigeria after the end of the season in Italy. The federation sympathises with the player’s family and his supporters. The burial will be announced later by his family.“He was one of the country’s finest players and a role model to the junior players. The federation and country has lost a star in the sport.” he stated further.Related
Kumasi Asante Kotoko of Ghana is Africa’s club of the century, according to the International Football Federation of History and Statistics.The 21-time champions of the Ghana Premier League receive their award during The World’s Football Gala 2010 which will take place at the exclusive Hurlingham Club in Fulham on February 1.Former FIFA General Secretary Michel Zen Ruffinen, who is the coordinator of 2010 gala, confirmed the award on local radio in Ghana. He also explained that details of the criterion used to select the award winners of the various categories will be published on the website of IFFHS in due course.He said an official letter informing the Porcupine Warriors of their feat would reach them by close of the next week, according to a Ghanaweb report.Ruffinen commended the club for their achievement noting that it is a major boost to football in Ghana.Each of the continental clubs of the century will receive a golden trophy and a certificate. The trophies will be handed over to the winners by world famous footballers. Also to grace the occasion are captains of the national teams that have qualified for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.Other award recipients are:Africa’s club of the century – Kumasi Asante Kotoko (Ghana)Europe’s club of the century – Real Madrid (Spain)South America’s club of the century – CA Penanol Montevideo (Uruguay)Asia’s club of the century – AL Hilal FC Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)Central and North America’s club of the century – CD Saprissa San, Juan de Tibas San Jose – (Costa Rica)Oceania’s club of the century – South Melbourne FC (Australia)Source: Kickoff.com
iStock/Thinkstock(MILWAUKEE) — A charter aircraft carrying the Miami Heat slid while taxiing after it landed at Milwaukee’s General Mitchell International Airport Wednesday night, the NBA team has confirmed.“Upon landing in Milwaukee tonight the team plane slid while taxiing but never left the pavement,” the team tweeted. “Everyone on board has deplaned and is ok.”ABC’s Milwaukee affiliate, WISN, reported that the incident occurred around 9:20 p.m.The incident was caused by snow on the runway, reported ABC Miami affiliate WPLG.WPLG also reported that Miami Air Boeing 737 was towed back to safety after it slid too far on the runway.The Heat are in Milwaukee to close out a six-game road trip that ends on Friday. The team will play the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday. Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Related
The UK Football Association said it was willing to investigate after a victory for England Women over Australia was followed by allegations that a group of spectators from the British Army shouted sexist abuse during the game.An Army contingent based in Cyprus attended England’s 3-0 win at the low-profile Cyprus Cup tournament in Nicosia on Friday.Two female England supporters who were at the game said the troops targeted Australian defender Servet Uzunlar throughout the match, as well as the Australian team’s substitutes as they took off their tracksuits before entering the field.Rachel O’Sullivan and Sophie Downey, who cover women’s football for www.girlsontheball.com, said the majority of the alleged abuse was made towards the Australian players and substitutes, whose bench was on the side of the pitch where the soldiers were sitting.Downey said: “We’ve been to lots of games before and we can engage in banter, but this wasn’t banter – it was constant, gender-specific abuse.“There were around 50 troops watching the game and a group of around 10 of them were directing constant insults – they were on the side of the Australian dugout so it was more focused on their players.“We weren’t sure whether to tweet about it because it’s the Army and we didn’t want to offend people – I’m a very proud English person and I’m very proud of what the Army do – but I was ashamed of them today.”O’Sullivan added: “One Australian player, number six (Uzunlar), they were harassing her over and over and over again, throughout the game.“They were making horrible comments, shouting at her, whistling – it was uncomfortable to hear. These are teenage girls and they were sexually objectifying them.”An MoD spokeswoman said: “Behaviour of the kind described is totally unacceptable and is not tolerated in the Armed Forces where abuse, bullying and discrimination have no place.“We are investigating these claims and if it is found that any UK personnel have fallen below the high standards we expect then appropriate action will be taken.”Downey and O’Sullivan said they complained to the commander in charge of the contingent at the end of the match and he apologised, saying he had not heard the abuse.An FA spokesperson told Press Association Sport: “We’ve spoken to the (England) players, manager and assistant manager after the game and none of them have said they heard anything during the game worthy of reporting or complaining about.“They appreciated the British Army’s support and were happy to have photographs taken with the Army boys at the end of the game.”The FA spokesperson added: “The FA will investigate all allegations of discriminatory abuse. If anyone did experience any form of discriminatory behaviour we would urge people to report it by calling 0800 085 0508, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or downloading the Kick It Out app from the App store of Google Play.”An Australian supporter at the match, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “This was a stunning one-off that I’ve never heard before in women’s football.“They were calling the girls t****, telling the referee ‘I’d like to blow you’.“I said something to the Army sergeant, ‘This isn’t a complaint as an Australian supporter, it’s a complaint as a woman’. It was beyond the pale.“He was apologetic after the game and offered to apologise to the players.“He said they’re just a bunch of young boys, but I have 17 and 18-year-old brothers, I know what they’re like but they wouldn’t say that to strangers.”The controversy comes after recordings of fans at Manchester United and Manchester City abusing Chelsea club doctor Eva Carneiro were broadcast by the BBC on Thursday night, prompting the London club to call for an end to sexism in football. (Press Association)
UNDERRATED Consultant veterinarian at Caymanas Park, Dr St Aubyn Bartlett, believes that there needs to be greater appreciation for grooms plying their trade in the racing industry. Bartlett, who was one of the main speakers at a recent one-day grooms’ seminar, which was held in Kingston through the support of McKay Security, said a lot of the grooms in the local fraternity do not have high levels of formal education and so they are least appreciated. “There are many situations with the grooms; for example, education is a major part of it, and a lot of grooms are youngsters that actually have had very weak life development,” said Bartlett. “A lot of them never get to the level of a high school and a lot of them came to the track as youngsters and have been there all the years until they become a groom, and they just pick up things around and about the horses,” he said. “They have not really been trained; and some of them are not even academically able, because some of them are unable to read and some of them are not functionally literate, and so they have a lot issues,” Bartlett added, while bemoaning that grooms are the most underrated members of the horse racing profession. “They are underrated because they are the least educated and are the least in terms of their social mobility … the work that they do is really the dirty work and the work; that they do a lot of people don’t give any ratings,” he said. “They are underrated, they are underpaid and they are overutilised.” The seminar, which saw 35 grooms taking part, was put on by the McKay Security Company and was held at The Courtleigh Hotel in Kingston. It served to improve grooms’ professionalism and register their status as stable assistants and grooms working in the racing industry. Bartlett said his presentation was well received by the grooms and it will certainly help them to better understand their roles in the racing industry. “I think that they were very receptive to my presentation and I also indicated to them the necessity for the industry to have a training programme for them because we have training programmes for the jockeys and trainers, but we really don’t have any training programmes for the grooms,” Bartlett said. “The grooms are the ones who are with the horses all the times, and so they should know more about the horse and how they should take care of them,” Bartlett noted.
Ainsley Walters/Gleaner WriterHOVER CRAFT has the handicaps in his favour and could emerge from the shadow of PERFECT NEIGHBOUR, his more illustrious stablemate, in this afternoon’s 10-furlong Governor General’s Stakes.Champion trainer Wayne DaCosta has three runners in the event – HOVER CRAFT, PERFECT NEIGHBOUR and DYSFUNCTIONAL – ganging up on their main rival, Ian Parsard’s SUPERLUMINAL.Returning at 119lb, SUPERLUMINAL sits level with PERFECT NEIGHBOUR who he had beaten by three-quarter length for second behind WILL IN CHARGE in the Prime Minister’s Stakes a month ago, both carrying 110lb.PERFECT NEIGHBOUR was slowly away from the gate and ran well to get within three-quarter length of second-place SUPERLUMINAL, who tried hard but was outclassed by WILL IN CHARGE.Though boasting contrasting running styles, PERFECT NEIGHBOUR and SUPERLUMINAL are proven 10-furlong specialists, leaving the race hinged on tactics and pace.SUPERLUMINAL rebounded to form, two races off a four-month layup, with a strong overnight allowance victory over useful DONTAE, going his signature distance on August 6.HARD TO BEATParsard’s runner skipped class 19 days later and bravely took his chances against WILL IN CHARGE in the Prime Minister’s Stakes, a run which should make him hard to beat if he gets a chance to control the pace.However, SUPERLUMINAL will have HOUDINI’S MAGIC and DYSFUNCTIONAL to contend with, leaving him open to DaCosta’s two closers – PERFECT NEIGHBOUR and HOVER CRAFT.Sneaking in under the handicaps, HOVER CRAFT is no 10-furlong specialist but will get at least 14lb from HOUDINI’S MAGIC and seven each from PERFECT NEIGHBOUR and SUPERLUMINAL, making him the fly in the ointment.The eight-year-old gelding flew home at odds of 15-1 to beat sprinters at five furlongs straight two weeks ago, albeit returning off a near four-month play-up, carrying 126lb to boot, winning the event in 57.2, nailing speedy CRUCIAL APPEAL at the wire.With that recent blowout victory under his girth and getting seven pounds from SUPERLUMINAL and PERFECT NEIGHBOUR, horses who he has extended in two-turn races before, makes HOVER CRAFT an enticing choice to upstage the specialists at a decent price.The last time HOVER CRAFT faced slowly declining PERFECT NEIGHBOUR was March, in the Bonnie Blue Flag Trophy, at nine furlongs and 25 yards, losing by a half-length, getting 14lb from his stablemate. PERFECT NEIGHBOUR had to fight tooth and nail to stave off DONTAE and HOVER CRAFT, who ran out of character by leading the event, which his stablemate won at odds of 2-5.