Andy Murray believes the best years of his career could still be ahead after confirming his status as world number one by beating Novak Djokovic to claim the ATP Tour Finals crown on Sunday.Murray, 29, became the oldest man since 1974 to reach the top of the rankings for the first time last month and the way he dominated the final months of the season, winning five titles and 24 matches in a row, suggests he could be right. (Murray beats Djokovic to win ATP World Tour Finals title)”I obviously want to try and achieve as much as I can these next few years because I’m not going to be around forever,” Murray, who won a second Wimbledon title and the Rio Olympics this year, told reporters after his 6-3 6-4 win at the O2 Arena.”These next few years, I want to try and make them the best of my career. But it’s going to be tough.”Had Murray lost to Djokovic on Sunday and relinquished top spot two weeks into his reign the chances are he would have overhauled the Serb again next year as he has fewer ranking points to defend in the months after the Australian Open.Having scaled the summit earlier than he expected, Murray may well take some shifting.”I would like to try and stay there. It’s taken a huge effort the last five, six months,” he said.”I’m aware that’s going to be extremely difficult. But now that I’ve got there, I obviously would be motivated to try and stay in that position.advertisement”But the majors are what gets me working hard and what really, really motivates me.”First, however, Murray will afford himself the luxury of a short rest after a gruelling week in London where he twice set a new record for the longest match in the tournament’s history.On Saturday he spent three hours 38 minutes defeating Canada’s Milos Raonic, having beaten Kei Nishikori in another three-hour epic in the group stage.He admitted he was running low on energy late on against Djokovic as the Serb staged a late rally.”I didn’t feel great this morning. The practice, the warm-up for the match, I was hitting the ball fine, but just a bit sluggish, a bit heavy-legged,” Murray said.”Thankfully the first sort of seven games of the match, there was no long rallies, which for us is strange. It wasn’t until the middle of the second set when the rallies started to get extended and longer that my legs were starting to feel it.”I knew that the longer the match went, the worse I was going to feel, and probably the better he was going to play.”I was lucky I got it finished in two sets.”
CALGARY – Alberta’s premier says her government will not be weighing in on the current battle over a new arena for the NHL Calgary Flames.The Flames indicated last week they were pulling out of arena talks with the city because negotiations have been unproductive.Mayor Naheed Nenshi has said the city is ready to negotiate in good faith.Premier Rachel Notley says any role that the provincial government may have is hypothetical and the matter has to run its course before there is any thought of involvement.Her comments echo those of Federal Sport Minister Kent Hehr, who last week said Ottawa would not get involved.Notley says she will leave it up to candidates in the municipal election to debate the issue.
Luciano Spalletti believes that Inter Milan’s 3-0 win away to Lazio highlighted the progress his team has made since last season.The Nerazzurri completed a six-game winning streak for the first time since January 2017 as they leapfrogged Napoli into second place on goal difference, with Mauro Icardi’s brace either side of a Marcelo Brozovic screamer.“We have an important squad, compared to last year we’ve obviously improved,” Spalletti said in the post-match press conference as cited by Forza Italia.Capello calls Lukaku “a modern striker” Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The former Italian manager believes Romelu Lukaku is perfectly suited for Antonio Conte’s Internazionale Milan in the Serie A.“The important thing is that everyone stays motivated and convinced of being able to make a contribution. If we continue like this it’s clear that it’ll then become visible that we’ve grown in every aspect: quality, personality, without being presumptuous.“It’s not about being an anti-this or an anti-that, it’s about being a strong team. With this form, we can win against anyone. But if we don’t keep up this level, we become the anti-ourselves and we can lose against anyone.”
Genoa head coach Ivan Juric is insisting that his side did not deserve to lose the match against Napoli, adding that It really hurts to lose with an own goal at the end.During the match, Ivorian star Christian Kouame had put the hosts up front with a header on Romulo’s cross, however, the play came to a standstill at the 13 minutes as a result of a waterlogged pitch.But when the game resumed, Fabian Ruiz equalised as well as Mario Rui’s free-kick got deflected by Davide Biraschi.“We did not deserve to lose, as we gave everything we had,” Juric told DAZN after the 2-1 result, according to Football Italia.Serie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….“It’s so disappointing to suffer another defeat after playing really well, just like we did against Milan. Victories give confidence, so even if the performances have been positive, we are left deflated.”“It really hurts to lose with an own goal at the end. We had prepared to hurt Napoli on the counter-attack and we did well until the equaliser, then became more inconsistent.”“Obviously, you’re never going to dominate a game with Napoli, but the team is improving.”
I won’t pretend to know what any journalistic outlet that publishes in newspapers “ONCE PER WEEK” would do or not do. But I do know that if I were the publisher I would’ve demanded the production team either create a sticker to be placed on the issue explaining my decision to publish, or pull it out entirely.And, call it the Jamie Lynn Spears rule, but I would’ve also done little in the way of publicizing the “coup”—who watches the Early Show anyway?—and certainly wouldn’t have put out a press release touting a “beyond the grave” interview.UPDATE: Publisher Randy Siegel told the Associated Press that the onlyoption other than to run the outdated article would have been askingnewspapers not to distribute the magazine at all. “We decided that thiswas an important interview to share with the American people,” he said. When you’re a magazine like Parade, you don’t tend to scoop anybody. Unless the interview you did with former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto in November, slated for a January cover, becomes chillingly prescient when she is assassinated in a suicide attack more than a week before the article is scheduled to be published.As FOLIO: reported, the magazine’s decision to immediately post the interview on Parade.com paid off in record-breaking traffic for the site. The writer, Gail Sheehy, appeared on the O’Reilly Factor, Larry King Live, CNN’s The Situation Room, the CBS Early Show and ABC Radio to talk about the interview.The print version, which arrived on America’s doorsteps this weekend, made no mention of the assassination—referring to Bhutto as “America’s best hope against Al-Qaeda”—and has subsequently drawn criticism. One FOLIO: commenter wrote:Any journalistic outlet that publishes in newspapers ONCE PER WEEK would have made every effort to change the story to reflect the assassination. To allow those copies into print was tasteless and lazy, regardless of whether it went to print or not.
A man walks past a Tata sign outside their offices in London, Britain March 30, 2016.Reuters fileIndia’s second-most-valued company, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), has planned to contribute a considerable portion of the firm’s corporate social responsibility (CSR) fund to Tata Trusts, the Economic Times reported on Friday.Tata Trust is a philanthropic organisation that owns a majority stake in the group holding firm.The country’s biggest software exporter is the first Tata company to considering such a move, which in line with former chairman Ratan Tata’s idea to unify the parent company’s philanthropic programme into one. Earlier Chairman N Chandrasekaran had also advocated for a “One Tata” approach.The 79-year-old industry veteran, Ratan Tata, wants Tata Trusts to work with the group companies on social development goals for “one powerful set of initiatives”, changing the path of how CSR is used worked in Tata Group under ousted chairman Cyrus Mistry, where companies underwent their individual CSR roadmaps, often different from that of Tata Trusts.A source familiar with the development told ET that the rationale of this move is to leverage the company’s spending in a better way and work on bigger projects.”We are working out the details. We are discussing how much of TCS corporate social responsibility spend will be given away to Tata Trusts’ initiatives and for how long,” the source said.Currently, Ratan Tata chairs Tata Trusts — a cluster of 14 charity organisations. Tata Sons works on different social welfare projects: mostly in education, healthcare, livelihood and sanitation. Ratan TataReutersThe philanthropic organisation spent around Rs 808 crore in the financial year 2016. Contributions from different Tata companies to Tata Sons will help create a larger fund pool.According to the government directive, every year private companies have to spend a minimum of 2 percent of the net profit of their three preceding financial years on CSR activities.Ratan Tata recently wrote in the company’s in-house magazine: “In the years I was chairman of the group, I tried to bring companies together to have a more unified approach in this regard. The last four years have seen the dismantling of that approach and a return to individual companies doing their bit.”
Staffordshire Moorlands Rushton Spencer, Rudyard and A523 Leek Biddulph and Knypersley Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailA total of 27 people were injured in traffic accidents on a number of key routes through the Staffordshire Moorlands in 2017 – new figures show. A StokeonTrentLive investigation has revealed 20 road accidents resulted in injuries across the swathe of the Moorlands around the A52 and the B5053. The accidents, which took place around a number of villages including Ipstones, Alton, Oakamoor, Kingsley, Kingsley Moor, Kingsley Holt, Cotton, Cauldon, Consall, Consall Forge and Froghall, involved a total of 32 vehicles. The data does not include ‘damage-only’ accidents or other collisions not reported to police. We’ve broken our findings down into a number of sections below discussing the accidents, the roads, those involved and their vehicles and the timing of the accidents. The roads: Four of the accidents took place along the length of the A52 – including in Cotton, Wooton, Kingsley and Consall. Three accidents were also reported on the A522 Leek Road – two in Kingsley Moor and one in Consall. The B-road with the most accidents was the B5053 Bottom Lane/Froghall Road, which had three of the accidents reported on it in Ipstones and a fourth in Froghall. The B5417 had two accidents resulting in injuries – one on Church Bank in Oakamoor and the other on Star Bank in Cotton. Three accidents took place around the village of Alton, including one on Lime Kiln Lane, one on Red Road and one near the Alton Towers resort. Other collisions were reported on the B5032 Sandy Lane in Croxden, Earlsway in Cauldon Lower Ladypark Wood in Consall Forge and the junction of Lockwood Road and Churnet Valley Road in Kingsley Holt. Read MoreHoliday park extension plans thrown out due to ‘harm to landscape’ The accidents: The accident which involved the most vehicles took place on the A52 Kingsley Road in Kingsley in April and involved three vehicles. Ten of the other accidents involved two vehicles, with the rest involving just one. Two of the accidents led to three people being injured- one of these took place near Alton Towers in August and the other on the A522 Leek Road in Kingsley Moor in June. Three of the accidents had two reported casualties, with the rest resulting in one. Only two of the accidents, on the A52 Kingsley Road in Kingsley and the A522 Leek Road in Consall, led to serious injuries being sustained – with the rest recorded as minor injuries. A number of collisions took place on the B5053 (Image: Google) The vehicles, their drivers and their destinations: Most of the vehicles involved in the accidents were private cars – with three motorcycles (two over 500cc and one between 125cc and 500cc) also involved. A pushbike and a HGV over 7.5 tons were also involved in accidents. One vehicle was being driven for work, six were commuting and the purpose of the rest of the journeys is not recorded. A total of 18 drivers were male and 14 female. Five of the drivers were aged 19, with the oldest motorist being recorded as being 67-years-old. A total of 12 drivers were in their 20s, while the age of one was not recorded. Read MoreWatch out for these roadworks across the Staffordshire Moorlands this week Those injured: Most of the people injured in accidents in the area were motorists – with the other six listed as passengers. Injuries were split roughly between the genders, with 14 females and 13 males listed as hurt in the collisions. The youngest people injured were two 17-year-old passengers in a collision on the A522 – while the oldest was a 52-year-old woman in an accident in Oakamoor. People in their 20s were the most likely to be hurt in the area – with 14 people falling into that age bracket. Only two people were listed as seriously injured. Dates/Times: Although accidents were recorded thgroughout the year June had the most with a total of six reported across the area. The month with the second highest figure was August with three, while only March, July and October saw no one injured in accidents in the area. Sundays and Mondays saw the joint highest number of accidents, with five each reported on those days. Tuesdays were the only day with no recorded collisions resulting in injuries in the area in 2017. The hour with most accidents was between 8am and 8.59am, with three reported during that period. Accidents were reported around the clock, with the earliest at 1.28am and the latest at 11.25pm. Read MoreMoorlands Accidents: In your area A50, Blythe Bridge, Checkley, Draycott Alton, Oakamoor, Ipstones, Kingsley Cheddleton and Wetley Rocks A53 from Leek to Buxton A523, Bradnop, Onecote and Wetton Endon, Longsdon, Brown Edge, Bagnall Werrington and Cellarhead Cheadle Want the latest news from across the Staffordshire Moorlands?For the very latest news from across the Staffordshire Moorlands, visit our dedicated homepage at Leek-news.co.uk, like our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter @LeekNews. If you’re interested in news from a particular town, we have dedicated channels for Leek, Cheadle and Biddulph – as well as a number of smaller villages including Cheddleton, Wetley Rocks, Endon, Rudyard, Brown Edge, Bagnall, Cellarhead, Werrington, Knypersley, Alton, Tean, Stockton Brook, Blythe Bridge and Caverswall. For the latest news from Alton Towers, you can visit the theme park’s dedicated channel – as well as our Staffordshire Moorlands District Council page for the latest local authority news and planning applications.