Bark N Blues festival departing Franklin Park for VFW space in Overland Park

Posted On Dec 20 2020 by

first_imgThe Bark N Blues festival is moving from Franklin Park for 2014.The dogs and the tunes of the Bark N Blues festival will be howling in a different location this year.The annual celebration of four-legged friends and blues music had been held at Prairie Village’s Franklin Park — just down the street from founder Kent Kraus’s Somerset Animal Clinic — since its inception. But this year the event is moving to the Veterans of Foreign Wars facility at 8804 Grant St. in Overland Park, just off 87th Street behind the Johnson County Central Resource Library.The change in venues, says Melissa Anderson of Kraus’s office, comes as a way to help the event accommodate growth.“The site is on five acres, so we have more room for the dog walk and for people to just enjoy themselves,” she said.Anderson said they also hope the new location might alleviate the opportunity for conflict over use of green space while the festival is in full gear. Last year, she said, a baseball team had a practice schedule on the Franklin Park diamond while the festival was under way.“They were pretty upset,” she said. “We just thought it was time to find a space where we could spread out a little more.”This year’s lineup will include Katy Guillen and the Girls, the Josh Vowell Band and Crosseyed Cat, among others. The event will run from 10 a.m.-7 p.m. on Saturday, May 31, with a one-mile dog walk preceding the music at 9 a.m.last_img read more


The Tourist Board of the Istrian County has published a public call for the development of an umbrella communication concept

Posted On Nov 20 2020 by

first_imgThe Tourist Board of the Istrian County (TZIŽ) in accordance with the findings and settings of the Strategic and Operational Marketing Plan 2015-2020 initiated the process of selecting the umbrella communication concept “Big Idea” of Istrian tourism, publishing on July 04, 2016 on its website international call for the submission of applications for participation in the development of this communication concept, which will be the backbone of a fully integrated marketing communication system of Istria for the next five to ten years.The selection of bidders for the development of the umbrella communication concept of Istrian tourism will take place in two phases. The first, pre-selection phase will last until July 20, by which time the deadline for collecting documentation from potential agencies is not asking for creative proposals, but bidders must present evidence of competence. This is followed by a second phase involving a maximum of five agencies selected by a special committee and with which an introductory meeting and presentation of the terms of reference will be held.Bids with creative proposals must be submitted by selected bidders by September 02 this year. Each presented concept will be subjected to a market test based on a representative sample of the target audience, which will be performed on four priority emitting markets, after which the proposals and submitted concepts will be evaluated and then finally accept the offer and sign a contract with the selected agency. The selection and presentation of the selected roof communication concept is expected by the end of the year.The complete documentation of the public call is available at the following linklast_img read more


Mice workshop organized by the London office

Posted On Nov 20 2020 by

first_imgOn May 10, 2017, the first MICE workshop was held at the Century Club in London, organized by the Representation of the Croatian National Tourist Board in London.18 top Croatian hotels, DMC agencies and congress offices had the opportunity to meet over 40 top buyers from the UK from prestigious agencies such as Black Tomato, Clive, Informa and Mauve. In addition to the business program, a tasting of Croatian wines and olive oils was organized for the participants and four prizes were awarded for a weekend stay in Croatia for British buyers.Source: CNTBlast_img read more


The market in minutes – South Bank

Posted On Oct 18 2020 by

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img


Tax, tax, tax and more tax – a rallying cry for construction

Posted On Sep 29 2020 by

first_imgSubscribe now for unlimited access Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAYlast_img read more


Video hearings pilot will uphold ‘majesty of a physical courtroom’, HMCTS pledges

Posted On Sep 28 2020 by

first_imgFully video courtrooms will be piloted with members of the public for the first time, the government has announced, kicking off with tax appeals this spring.HM Courts & Tribunals Service says video hearings will save people time and money spent travelling to court and waiting. People with health problems that make it difficult for them to attend court, will also benefit, the announcement said. Participants will need a computer and a webcam so they can log in from a location of their choice. The judge will sit in a courtroom.HMCTS says it is ‘working closely with the judiciary to ensure the majesty of a physical courtroom will be upheld’. The judge will decide whether to hold a video hearing. Private conversations will be possible before the hearing begins. The hearing format and process will remain the same.The Gazette has been told that the ‘small scale’ pilot will hold up to 24 cases. Two members of the judiciary will hear any pilot case. The hearings will take about one-and-a-half hours. Appropriate hearings will considered from across England. Justice minister Lucy Frazer said today: ‘We are spending £1bn on transforming and modernising the justice system. Video hearings have the potential to improve access to justice and speed up cases. This pilot will provide important information – together with an increasing body of evidence from other countries – to drive innovation to make the wider system quicker, smarter and much more user-friendly.’HMCTS says video technology is already used in criminal courts to allow some victims and witnesses to give evidence without coming face-to-face with the accused. They cite a 97-year-old victim of an aggravated burglary and a witness to a gang murder as examples.Former magistrate Penelope Gibbs, director of Transform Justice, which campaigns for a fair and open justice system, told the Gazette that research on video hearings for defendants and immigration detainees suggests that being on video leads to worse outcomes, including more imprisonment and a greater number of decisions to deny bail.A survey conducted by the charity last year showed that over half of respondents thought appearing on video made it more difficult for defendants to understand what was going on in their hearings and to participate. Nearly three-quarters said defendants who had no legal representation were disadvantaged by appearing on video.Gibbs said today: ‘I hope HMCTS will do a full evaluation of outcomes in this pilot so we know whether virtual hearings help or hinder access to justice.’The Law Society said people lodging tax appeals are likely to be well educated, and not financially or technologically excluded. The cases are also likely to be reasonably straightforward. Joe Egan, president, said: ‘This makes these cases a good environment to test out the principles and technology for holding fully virtual hearings. However, it must be remembered that more complex cases and more vulnerable participants are likely to give rise to extra challenges that may not be addressed in this pilot.’We look forward to learning with HMCTS the lessons to be drawn from the pilot, and to discussing with them the issues that will need to be considered before rolling out this technology further.’last_img read more


UK franchises to be extended

Posted On Sep 28 2020 by

first_imgON SEPTEMBER 9 the UK Strategic Rail Authority announced that it was to start formal negotiations to extend four of the remaining first-generation franchises. The Wessex Trains and West Anglia Great Northern franchises currently held by National Express expire on March 31 2004, as does GOVIA’s Thameslink franchise. NEG’s contract for Silverlink runs to October 16 2004. According to SRA, all the extensions will be for approximately two years, and renewal is subject to agreement on ’the best possible deal for passengers and taxpayers’.The WAGN extension will only cover the Great Northern operations out of King’s Cross, as the West Anglia routes into Liverpool Street are to be merged into the new Greater Anglia franchise from April 1 2004. Final bids for Greater Anglia were submitted by GBRailways, National Express and Arriva on September 1. Given the disruption to Thameslink services caused by construction of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link terminal at St Pancras and the box for the new Thameslink 2000 station, SRA has dropped its plan to award a new franchise co-terminous with South Central. Instead a two-year extension of the existing franchise will ’provide continuity’ during the disruption. A replacement franchise would then cover the period to the completion of T2000 infrastructure works around 2012. SRA says that it is working with Network Rail to resolve the planning issues which have halted the Blackfriars section of T2000 in a bid to start work on the project ’as quickly as possible.’ OnSeptember 10, SRA confirmed that 13 expressions of interest had been received for the Integrated Kent Franchise, which will combine the South Eastern routes being taken back from Connex with the proposed domestic high speed services over the Channel Tunnel Rail Link (p609). Applications closed on September 3, and a shortlist of three to five bidders is to be selected by the end of this year.last_img read more


Invasive lionfish now a cause for concern in Barbados

Posted On Sep 26 2020 by

first_img 16 Views   no discussions Share Sharing is caring! Share Tweetcenter_img Prickly customers from the Indo-Pacific region are the first fish to have successfully invaded the Caribbean Sea.Lionfish sightings in Barbados’ waters have moved from ten within the first eight months of the first sighting in November 2011 to ten per week and the fish are now found right around the island.So said fisheries biologist Chris Parker, while addressing delegates from the 21st Conference of the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) Regional Commission for the Americas, as they toured the Bellairs Research Institute of McGill University at Folkestone, St James. Highlighting the problems that this species has created for Barbados, Parker explained that once native to the Indo-Pacific region, these fish have found a new home in the Caribbean.“Lionfish are the first marine fish known to have successfully invaded the Western Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. The invasion is viewed by scientists as a major threat to the coral reef ecosystems and our associated fisheries,” the marine biologist said.Lionfish continue to multiply rapidly, having first been spotted off Florida in 1985, spreading to Bermuda and then The Bahamas by 2004. By 2007 they had spread to Cuba and Turks and Caicos, then Belize in 2008. Since then, the spread has escalated to the rest of the Caribbean and South America.Two species have so far been found in the Atlantic – the red lionfish and the devil-fire fish – and scientists believe they will only be stopped by cooler waters further north and south.Adding to the threat is their very high reproductive rate, with spawning occurring every four days year-round.According to Parker, “They sexually mature within the first year of life and have a long life span of 15 years. They also have a faster growth rate than many species. “They are less susceptible to parasites because they can shed their skin and have an arsenal of spines that present a fabulous aversion to predation. As such, there are no known predators in the region,” he said.The biologist added that they are efficient and voracious predators, consuming reef fish and other invertebrates, with 56 species identified so far as their prey. More importantly, they eat the juveniles of many of the larger fish caught for food by the local population.Caribbean 360 Share NewsRegional Invasive lionfish now a cause for concern in Barbados by: – December 5, 2012last_img read more


Sineku Primary School students kept home in protest

Posted On Sep 26 2020 by

first_img Sharing is caring! The Sineku Primary School students are being kept away due to deplorable conditions at the School and repeated incidents of vandalismThe students of the Sineku Primary School are being kept away home by parents in protest of deplorable conditions there and repeated incidents of vandalism.The parents are peeved that the Ministry of Education has not addressed their concerns regarding the state of the school despite repeated communication to the Ministry.Students have not been attending school since Monday, May 12, 2014 after an incident of vandalism on Sunday, May 11, 2014. Principal of the School, Kathleen Jno Lewis told Dominica Vibes on May 15, 2014 that parents are concerned with the numerous break-ins as well as electricity, plumbing issues plaguing the facility. Although nothing was stolen from the school during the May 12, incident, Mrs Jno Lewis reported that the louvers for each of the classrooms and the principal’s office were tampered with and in one class the louvers were removed.After the incident was reported to the police, Mrs Jno Lewis informed that the Parent Teachers Association (PTA) and an emergency meeting was held to discuss the matter.“The PTA had an emergency meeting to discuss the matter and they took a decision to keep their children home until they can hear from the Ministry of Education to try to solve the problem because this has been happening for quite a while this is not the first burglary it is not the first vandalism,” she said. In past break-ins, food, materials and computers have been stolen from the School. The School has a security guard but he only works during the night.Moreover, according to Mrs. Jno Lewis parents have kept their children home to send a message to the authorities that all is not well at the School. “The message that the parents are sending is that the school is being ignored, they have sent numerous letters to the Ministry, the last one was sent in October, and no response so far,” she said. She noted that these break-ins are having a psychological effect on the children.“When they come their louvers are broken it sends a negative message to the children, we have a plumbing problem, an electrical problem, the break-ins, we have water problem so all those things have been escalating,” she noted.Grade students will return to school on Friday so that they can prepare for the Grade Six National Assessment which is two weeks away.When contacted, the Ministry of Education said they are aware of the situation at the School and all is being done to address it.The Chief Education Officer, Melina Fontaine is expected to meet with the PTA and staff on Monday, May 19, 2014.Dominica Vibes News Share 158 Views   2 comments EducationLocalNewsPrimary Sineku Primary School students kept home in protest by: – May 16, 2014center_img Share Tweet Sharelast_img read more


Survey Shows Most Companies are Not Ready to Deploy 5G Technologies

Posted On Sep 24 2020 by

first_imgA recent report published by ABI Research found a severe disconnect between the 5G market hype and the commercial industry’s readiness to deploy the technology. ABI Research conducted a survey of 455 U.S. based companies to determine if and how they plan to use/deploy 5G. Nearly all respondents who plan to one day incorporate 5G technology into their business models cited that they are in the early investigation phase. Over 62% of respondents do not plan to deploy 5G technology in the coming years.According to the report, the hype of 5G is currently driven by the technology supply chain rather than by demand from the end-markets. All indicators lead them to believe that 5G will take hold in the consumer market before it claims its stake in the enterprise and industrial sectors. As the 5G roadmap develops, it is now more important for technology suppliers to engage with implementers – understand their requirements, educate them on the value of 5G, and help bring their specific use case needs to life.The survey findings indicate that the retail vertical shows the most aggressive outlook in its willingness to adopt 5G technology. With 51% of retail respondents assessing or planning to deploy 5G in the coming years, this suggests that this vertical has a specific need for 5G to support bandwidth-hungry and low latency use cases, including AR, VR, and robotic applications. At the other end of the spectrum, autonomous driving ranks as the least popular 5G use case across all verticals.Virtual reality (VR) ranks as the most popular use case for 5G across all market segments, with 89% of respondents who plan to deploy 5G in the coming years also planning to deploy VR. Robotics also ranks high in use case popularity but remains largely ignored by 5G vendors due to technology complexities and several regulatory and socioeconomic challenges facing this industry.5G technology suppliers are currently working in a vacuum, often denigrating the rights of technology implementers to influence the 5G development roadmap. The retail, healthcare, and federal government verticals show the highest willingness to deploy 5G technology in the coming years and, as such, need careful attention by 5G technology suppliers to ensure that their individual, varied use case needs will be properly addressed.These findings are from ABI Research’s Industry Survey: Transformative Technology Adoption and Attitudes – 5G report.last_img read more