0Shares0000Suspended FIFA president Sepp Blatter leaves after a hearing at the FIFA headquarters on December 17, 2015 in ZurichZURICH, December 18 – FIFA’s ethics judges are set to hear a defence in the allegations against UEFA chief Michel Platini on Friday, although the Frenchman will not be there to argue his case after vowing to boycott the hearing.The Platini hearing follows an appearance at the same FIFA court by world football’s suspended president Sepp Blatter, who spent more than eight hours at FIFA’s Zurich headquarters being questioned in a corruption case that may end his career. Both Blatter and Platini, a FIFA vice president, were suspended in October after Swiss prosecutors opened a criminal investigation looking partly into a two million Swiss francs ($2 million/1.8 million euros) payment made to Platini in 2011 for work carried out about a decade earlier.The two men – once the most powerful figures in world football – face longer suspensions in a verdict expected from FIFA ethics judges early next week.Platini has said the verdict has been decided in advance and he will therefore not show up. He will be represented by his lawyers.FIFA’s ethics judges have dismissed Platini’s claims of a pre-determined verdict and pledged to review the evidence against him fairly.Before his own hearing, Blatter launched similar criticisms against the FIFA court, but still appeared in his own defence, accompanied by his Zurich-based lawyer Lorenz Erni.Neither men spoke to the dozens of journalists gathered outside FIFA on Thursday, but shortly after the hearing Blatter’s Virginia-based lawyer Richard Cullen issued a statement calling for an acquittal.“President Blatter looks forward to a decision in his favor, because the evidence requires it,” Cullen said in an email sent to AFP.“President Blatter behaved properly and certainly did not violate FIFA’s Code of Ethics. This investigation should be closed and the suspension lifted,” Cullen added.Both Blatter and Platini deny wrongdoing. If convicted, appeals to a FIFA’s appeal committee and the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) are possible for both men.– Bank accounts frozen – As Blatter exited FIFA’s headquarters on Thursday, possibly for the last time, his temporary replacement warned that the unprecedented storm surrounding the organisation may not be over.Acting FIFA president Issa Hayatou and acting secretary general Markus Kattner issued an open letter which noted that “there may be further challenges ahead.”And in a sign of the seemingly ever widening corruption probe within global football, Switzerland said that it had carried out a US request to freeze about 50 accounts in Swiss banks.A Swiss justice ministry spokesman Folco Galli said “funds in the high tens of millions are blocked.”It was the wave of US justice department indictments announced in May that unleashed the scandal which has since rocked FIFA.Dozens of people are facing charges in US courts, but Blatter and Platini are not among that group.Their possible long-term suspensions from FIFA would however mark the highest profile casualties of the scandal.Before his suspension, Blatter had agreed to step down when his replacement was chosen in a February vote and Platini had been the favourite to succeed him.But the Frenchman’s campaign has been stalled by ethics inquiry.Separately, Russia’s President Vladimir Putin, whose country will host the 2018 World Cup, said Blatter should be a Nobel Peace laureate.“That is someone who should be given the Nobel Peace Prize,” Putin said while Blatter faced questioning at FIFA. “His contribution to the global humanitarian sphere is colossal.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Remember, the release candidate is not ready for primetime yet. Don’t use it on a production site.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Like this:Like Loading…RelatedWordPress 4.1 Beta Version Available for TestingThe first WordPress 4.1 beta version was released last week, and is ready for download. Here’s your chance to set up a test site to check out the new features and improvements in the new version. According to the announcement from 4.1 release lead John Blackbourn, the 4.1 version is…In “WordPress”WordPress 4.1 Release Candidate AvailableThe first WordPress 4.1 release candidate has been released and is ready for download. Here’s your chance to test out the new features and improvements in the next version of WordPress. John Blackbourn, lead for the 4.1 development team, announced the release candidate, asking for help with testing before the…In “WordPress”Weekly Roundup of Web Design and Development Resources: August 29, 2014Welcome to the weekly roundup! If you’re new to the blog, each week I publish some of my favorite web design and development resources I’ve discovered on Twitter and from my reading articles and posts. In this week’s roundup, you’ll learn about the user experience decisions for Instagram’s new Hyperlapse…In “Web design & development links” The first WordPress 4.0 release candidate is out today, and ready for download. Here’s your chance to test out the new features and improvements in the next version of WordPress. According to the announcement from 4.0 release lead Helen Hou-Sandi, the team hopes to ship WordPress 4.0 next week. And they could use your help in testing WordPress. What’s New in WordPress 4.0?You’ll find many interface and user experience improvements in WordPress 4.0. Given my background with localization, I’m thrilled WordPress 4.0 allows users to select a language for installation. Here’s a few of the other 4.0 features you’ll find:New Media Library interface: grid viewPost editor improvements that will make editing your posts easierImproved interface for plugin search resultsWidget integration in the theme customizerGet Started Testing WordPress 4.0No better time to get started testing than today! If you find any issues, report them in the Alpha/Beta area of the support forums. To install WordPress 4.0 release candidate 1, you have two options:Use the WordPress Beta Tester plugin. Select “bleeding edge nightlies”.Download the release candidate zipfileAnd if you’re a plugin/theme developer, here’s a few things you’ll want to do:Test your plugins and themes to ensure they work with 4.0Update your plugin’s readme to show 4.0 supportAdd an icon for your plugin (new feature rolling out in 4.0 next week). The icon displays in the dashboard. If you don’t add an icon, it will be automatically generated, based on the colors in the banner image.
9 December 2013Backed by a 32 000-strong crowd, the Springbok Sevens team scored an emotional 17-14 victory over New Zealand in the final of the Nelson Mandela Bay Sevens in Port Elizabeth on Sunday.In a stadium bearing the name of the recently deceased and much-loved former president Nelson Mandela, the crowd helped lift the Blitzbokke out of an early 0-14 deficit and on to a deserved victory, which they dedicated to the iconic statesman.Ironclad defenceThroughout the event, the South African team’s defence had been ironclad, while the side was also very effective on the attack. In the final, the team’s aggressive defence carried them to the title as New Zealand, after their two early tries, were kept pinned in their half.Branco du Preez brought South Africa to within two points of the Kiwis at the break by using his fast feet to cross for two tries and after the break, captain Kyle Brown crossed for the match-winning five-pointer.His winning score came after the Blitzbokke had forced New Zealand to kick for touch from their own try line. After claiming the throw-in on the 22, Brown, instead of passing back to the scrumhalf, spun towards the sideline, handing off a would-be tackler and ducking beneath a second tackle, to find his way to the try line open.Still, South Africa led by only three points. New Zealand, though, could not escape the pressure of the Springboks’ suffocating defence and the Blitzbokke provided coach Neil Powell with his first win since he took charge of the team at the beginning of the HSBC World Series.‘We needed to be close’“We needed to be close to New Zealand at the break, so when we scored late in the first half, it meant a lot to the guys,” Powell said after the game.“It is an unbelievable feeling. Credit to the guys in the squad. I think they showed a lot of character out there tonight and I’m really proud of each and every one of them, and the management as well.”Powell said “Madiba Magic” helped his team to the title. “It was a very emotional weekend for all South Africans,” he said,” but we realised that we needed to do it for his memory and for ourselves. We could only do it by playing as a team and playing for each other.”‘We had to dig deep’Springbok Sevens captain Kyle Brown praised his team mates for their special effort. “We were all desperate for a good result and knew that we had to do this as a team. We had to dig deep to come back, but I never doubted the character and will to win,” he said.“This is a special win and we cannot thank the crowd enough for their support. It was also important for us to keep improving and following our fourth place at the Gold Coast and second spot in Dubai, a win here justified the hard work the squad has put into training.”ResultsThe Blitzbokke comfortably topped their pool on the first day of the event, defeating Canada 24-7, Spain 38-0 and Kenya 27-7.On day two, they were in scintillating form, thrashing Portugal 45-0 in the quarterfinals and Argentina 31-0 in the semi-finals before edging the Kiwis, whose closest game before the final had been a 19-5 win over Samoa in the semi-finals.New Zealand continue to top the World Series standings with 58 points, but their lead over South Africa is down to only two points. Fiji are in third place with 48 points and England are fourth on the log with 40 points.
Don’t mourn Twitpic. The popular service will continue to host images and video on Twitter thanks to an acquisition, the company tweeted Thursday. We’re happy to announce we’ve been acquired and Twitpic will live on! We will post more details as we can disclose them— TwitPic (@TwitPic) September 18, 2014This is the company’s first tweet since Sept. 4, when it announced it would be shutting down on Sept. 25 following a copyright skirmish with Twitter. The micro-blogging giant decided now was the time to take action against Twitpic, although the startup has been around since 2008.“Unfortunately we do not have the resources to fend off a large company like Twitter to maintain our mark which we believe whole heartedly is rightfully ours,” founder Noah Everett wrote. “Therefore, we have decided to shut down Twitpic.”See also: Twitpic, Already Sidelined By Twitter, Shuts Down After Trademark SpatNow it looks like the acquisition will give the company the resources it needs to stay in business. Twitpic has not revealed any other details, or even the identity of the buyer.Twitpic’s news comes as an apparent relief; as of publication, the announcement tweet had more than 4,000 retweets.Lead image by Homard.net lauren orsini A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Tags:#Twitpic#twitter Related Posts
Facebook Advertisement Twitter Advertisement The Weeknd first announced in November 2016 that he would be hand-picking items for a spring 2017 clothing line bearing his name. He later released a fall clothing line. (RENE JOHNSTON / TORONTO STAR) The retailer said Monday that the “image has now been removed from all H&M channels and we sincerely apologize to anyone this may have offended.”The Weeknd first announced in November 2016 that he would be hand-picking items for a spring 2017 clothing line bearing his name. He later released a fall line with clothing including jackets, sweatshirts and hoodies.THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment LONDON—Toronto pop star The Weeknd says he’s distancing himself from H&M after it was revealed the clothing giant had released an advertising image of a young Black model in a sweatshirt with the words “Coolest monkey in the jungle.”The brand removed the image and apologized, but kept in place other designs modelled by white children.woke up this morning shocked and embarrassed by this photo. i’m deeply offended and will not be working with @hm anymore… pic.twitter.com/P3023iYzAb— The Weeknd (@theweeknd) January 8, 2018 The Weeknd tweeted he was “shocked and embarrassed” and “deeply offended” and would no longer work with the clothing brand.U.K. Labour Party lawmaker Kate Osamor tweeted that she was “totally shocked, dismayed to say the very least” by the image and, addressing H&M, asked “do you think this imagery is an appropriate representation of a young black boy?” Login/Register With: