KUSI Newsroom, Union to make announcement on possible grocery strike SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Union leaders plan to announce Monday whether grocery workers in San Diego County and the rest of Southern California will go on strike against Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons and Pavilions.Raising the threat of the first Southland grocery strike in nearly 16 years, the workers on Wednesday overwhelmingly authorized their union’s plan to call for a work stoppage unless a contract agreement can be reached.“Southern California grocery workers voted in large numbers, and overwhelmingly rejected the unfair terms that have been proposed by Ralphs, Albertsons and Vons,” said John Grant, president of United Food and Commercial Workers Local 770.The voting was conducted Monday and Tuesday, Grant said. Exact tallies of the vote were not immediately released, but UFCW Local 770 leaders said they would announce a decision at 4:30 p.m. Monday.Albertsons/Vons/Pavilions issued a statement saying, “The outcome of the strike authorization vote does not change anything related to this process. We remain committed to negotiating a contract that is fair to all parties, including our employees, and will continue to work to achieve that.”Ralphs issued a similar statement and said, for now, “it is business as usual in Ralphs stores.”The strike authorization vote means union negotiators have the power to call for a strike, if deemed necessary, but it does not automatically mean a walkout will occur.Meetings are pending this week involving the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor to discuss authorizations for the member unions to honor possible picket lines, Grant said.The next bargaining sessions involving the union and the companies are scheduled for July 10, 11, and 12, Grant said.The contract between the union and the companies expired in March. That pact was approved by workers in 2016 and included annual raises for most workers, along with increased pay for entry-level cashiers and concessions on holiday pay and retirement age, union officials said at the time.On Wednesday, union officials said the most recent contract offer made by the grocery companies included wage increases of less than 1 percent and nearly 25 percent cuts in cashier wages.The labor dispute raises fears of a repeat of the 2003-04 Southland grocery strike that dragged on for 141 days. That work stoppage was estimated by some analysts to have cost the supermarket chains as much as $2 billion, with locked-out workers losing $300 million in wages. July 1, 2019 Categories: California News, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: July 1, 2019 KUSI Newsroom
A strike could hit West Indies’ tour opener against India on Wednesday due to a row between leading West Indies players and their own union. The match in Kochi, where the teams are already assembled, is the first of five one-day internationals to be followed by three test matches and a Twenty20 international.The West Indies Players Association (WIPA) and the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) signed a new agreement last month covering pay and conditions but all-rounder Dwayne Bravo said players were kept in the dark about the talks and would not accept the outcome. (Also Read: India Won’t be Scared of Windies as Narine Mystery Looms) ‘We believe we are being hoodwinked and are being treated like little school boys, yet we are being asked to perform and play as professionals,’ Bravo wrote in a letter to WIPA president Wavell Hinds published by the Caribbean website Wired868.com. Also Read – Khel Ratna for Deepa and Bajrang, Arjuna for Jadeja‘The players are of the view that as a matter of principle, we should not accept these conditions whereby we are being asked to play a series against India without any certainty of what are our obligations and what we will be playing for.’The WICB said in a statement on Tuesday that they were aware of the dispute and the possibility of a strike.‘It has also come to the WICB’s attention that the some of the players could withdraw their services for the first ODI. The WICB deeply regrets this apparent eventuality, especially in light of the tedious and substantial work which went into the good faith negotiations to arrive at the new, historic CBA/MOU.‘The WICB apologises to the fans, the BCCI and all other stakeholders should the first ODI be disrupted as a result of player action. The WICB is making every effort to ensure that it fulfills all its commitments and that cricket is played,’ said the statement.